A section of the old Jewish cemetery of Alytus
The Jewish cemetery of the second Alytus was located on the territory of the current Smėlio Street. Currently, various buildings are built on them. The cemetery has been completely destroyed, the remains of the brick fence remain, and the maceivs and grave mounds are no longer visible. They can be seen better from the side of Žalioji Street.
A small stream flowed next to the cemetery, separating it from the community’s residential area. It is not known how many burials there were in this cemetery. The area of the cemetery used to be 0.26 ha. The boundaries of the territory form a heptagon. It is believed that burials began in the 19th century. first, half The oldest tombstone is dated 1852. The cemetery is included in the Register of Immovable cultural assets.