Independence Monument in Lazdijai
To commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas (year 1930), an Independence Monument to those who died for Lithuania’s independence was erected in the center of Lazdijai, in the market square, on the initiative of the Riflemen Union. The author of the monument is still unknown. The central square became representative, and official celebrations of Lithuanian holidays took place here. 1940 when the Soviet government came, everything related to Lithuanian freedom was destroyed. It was not possible to demolish the monument until the Second World War. However, it was demolished at the end of the war. 1990 the monument has been restored and solemnly unveiled. The remains of the original monument are currently on display in the courtyard of the Lazdijai Region Museum.