Church of the Transfiguration of Christ in Meteliai
The church, founded by Povilas Sapiega, was built in 1619 and burnt down by the Russian army in 1655. Later, a temporary house of worship was built. Around 1720, Mykolas Servacas Višnioveckis built a wooden, shingle-covered, roofless church with a dome. In 1785 it was repaired and a new bell tower was built. On 12 August 1807-08, the church was struck by thunder and burnt down. In 1809 a temporary church was built in the churchyard and in 1818-1822 a new church of broken stones. Its windows and doors are made of brick. The funds were mainly provided by the estate manager, Tomas Ušinskis, and the work was carried out by the building contractor Finkelis from Seinai. Between 1885 and 1890 the church was enlarged by adding a front with two towers, a vaulted ceiling, reinforced foundations, cement floors, a new high altar and a bell tower. The title of the church may have been changed at that time, as the church was consecrated in 1822 under the name of St Michael the Archangel and St George the Martyr. The churchyard was enclosed with a stone fence in 1898. In 1909, an organ by J. Garalevičius was installed. In 1914, three bells were taken away by Russian soldiers. Between the wars, three steel bells were bought in Bochum with the help of Father V. Jurgila. The church is a two-domed, three-aisled, basilical church. The plan is asymmetrical: on either side of the presbytery there are sacristies of different sizes. The chancel is topped by a three-bay apse. The nave is twice as wide as the side aisles. The architecture of the church is eclectic, combining classical and neo-Baroque forms.