The Way of St. James
Object no. 1 Liškiava (Dominican) Monastery
The first church in Liškiava originates from the beginning of the XVI century. In 1677 the Liskiava estate owner Vladas Jurgis Kosila presented his wealth along with a new wooden church to the Dominicans of Sejny. The Dominicans had to fight for the wealth in the courts, since landowner’s relatives were indisposed to give up the property. In the XVIII century the Dominicans built a monastery and a stone church in Late Baroque style, the latter of which survived to this day. However, in 1808 the church was set afire by lightning. The church has long been known for the miraculous painting of Our Lady located in one of its side altars.More info
Object no. 2 Druskininkai Holy Virgin Mary Church
The Neo-Gothic Holy Virgin Mary Church, built in 1931, was liked by the Polish Marshal Jozef Pilsudski, and it was often visited by the linguist Juozas Balčikonis, the poet and prose writer Vincas Mykolaitis-Putinas, and many other famous Lithuanian public figures. The Holy Virgin Mary Church is an extremely valuable and impressive place in terms of both architecture and culture.More info
Object no. 3 Church of the Apostle St. Bartholomew in Ratnyčia
The Lithuanian Gothic-style church of the Apostle St. Bartholomew dates back to 1650, and was established by the nobleman Kazimierz Leon Sapieha. At that time, the house of worship, which was named after one of the 12 apostles mentioned in the New Testament, was the filial church of Merkinė—the so-called church without a parish.
In 1676, Michał Pac built another church here, and in 1762 a wooden church was built on the site. Unfortunately, neither of these buildings survived. In 1910 however, on the initiative of the priest Pranciškus Bernotas and with the help of donations from local parishioners and benefactors, the Church of the Apostle St. Bartholomew was rebuilt, brought back to life and opened once again for the local Catholic community.More info