Fragments of Veisiejai Manor Homestead
The origins of Veisiejai Manor date back to 1501 when the Grand Duke of Lithuania Alexander gifted the lands in which it’s located to the Glinskis family. In 1613, it was taken over by the Radziwiłł family, who became its owners.
The manor’s homestead, fragments of which survive to the present day, was created by the Great Hetman of Lithuania, Michał Józef Massalski. After his death, the owners of the manor kept changing, until finally, after the First World War, most of the manor was abandoned and destroyed.
A park that was once located next to the original manor building survives, and is one of the oldest and most popular parks in Lithuania. The park is surrounded by a circle of tall lime trees and the so-called Veisiejai Ash, which stands at a height of 30 metres and a width of just over five metres. In 1998, a monument to Ludwik Lejzer Zamenhof, the inventor of the international Esperanto language who lived and worked in Veisiejai between 1885 and 1886 , was unveiled in the park.
In 2014, the Veisiejai Regional Park Visitor Centre and the Park Directorate were established inside the only surviving building on the Veisiejai manor site.